Executive Director Job Description
Mission of Entrepreneur’s Foundation of Colorado (EFCO):
The mission of EFCO is to drive Corporate Social Responsibility and build a “culture of giving” in the startup business community of the front range of Colorado. We accomplish this by encouraging companies to give a portion of their equity to local charities through EFC Entrepreneur’s Foundation of Colorado (EFCO)
History and Organizational Overview
The Entrepreneur’s Foundation of Colorado was founded in 2007 by entrepreneurs, for entrepreneurs. EFCO encourages local companies to give back to their community and integrate this giving culture into the fabric of their business. To date more than 30 companies have donated a portion of their equity to local non profits through EFCO (a list of member companies can be found here: http://efcolorado.org/wp/active). The Foundation has generated over $100,000 in proceeds back to the community since its inception and expects several upcoming events to generate an additional $1M-$2M over the next 18 months.
EFCO Statement of Organizational Values
To make a significant positive impact in the community, EFCO believes:
- Start-up companies are part of their community ecosystem
- The stronger the community, the stronger the company
- Companies need to be socially responsible, and consciously give back to the communities where they operate
- In nurturing the philanthropy and volunteerism of our member companies.
A community of Colorado Front Range start-ups, working together to make Colorado a better place to live and build a company.
EFCO is a fund of The Community Foundation Serving Boulder County, where the Executive Director (ED) would be based and be part of the greater team of the Foundation. The ED will be an independent contractor, with day-to-day reporting to the President of the Foundation, and accountable to the EFCO board of directors – a volunteer board of experts from the entrepreneurial community.
The Executive Director’s high level duty is to further the mission of EFCO through active day-to-day management, facilitation of investee relations and capacity building, development of infrastructure and growth of the membership and its activities through:
- Work with the EFCO Advisory Board and full membership to expand support and grow members.
- Promote strategic philanthropy of our members by providing quality educational opportunities for member companies and the nonprofit community
- Connect every member to the work and success of EFCO
- Advance administrative aspects of the organization to operate the organization in an efficient and responsive manner
- Become the EFCO ambassador to the public and external organizations, to raise our voice as the premier philanthropic organization for entrepreneurial companies across the Front Range.
- Raise awareness of the importance of corporate philanthropy within the Colorado entrepreneurial community and within organizations by positioning EFCO as the leader in this field
- Executive Director position is part-time (average 20 hours per week)
- Executive Director is supervised by and reports to the President of the Community Foundation
- Executive Director is a contractor of The Community Foundation
Specific responsibilities include:
Member Recruitment & Other Fundraising
- Assist EFCO Advisory Board in membership recruitment, including cultivating relationships with prospective members
- Develop leads from current members
- Work closely with the EFCO board in the development and implementation of specific recruitment plans to meet recruitment objectives
- Prepare grant proposals and reports to diverse funders to maintain and expand EFCO program
- Pitch EFCO program to area companies, maintain contact, and report on success
- Oversee recruitment events
Member Education, Engagement, & Retention
- Responsible for the transition from prospect to engaged member including closing, follow up and active participation in EFCO
- Build personal connections with all members to ensure their desired level of engagement and retention
- Be an active member in the national EF program including attendance at annual EF retreat and corporate citizenship events
- Oversight and coordination of member and prospecting events
- Coordinate New Member orientation
- Stay current on organizational capacity best practices and venture philanthropy
- Assure that all member and prospect tracking is current
- Maintain regular communication with EFCO Advisory Board
- Oversee the production of a quarterly enewsletter and appropriate blog posts
- Supervise the creation of content for and further technical development of the EFCO website
- Manage communications with prospects and members
- Supervise the development and implementation of all communication materials, including EFCO reports
- Coordinate with The Community Foundation’s (TCF’s) Director of Advancement on certain EFCO and TCF marketing and communications materials
- Write and disseminate blog and social media updates throughout the year to highlight EFCO’s successes
- Implement 2012 Communications Plan
- Represent EFCO in public presentations to nonprofit sector
- Develop and maintain an annual work plan including objectives, measures, and budget
- Oversee the financial management of the organization, including supervision of accounts payable, preparation of financial reports, tracking member donations, and reconciliation with The Community Foundation records and EFCO Advisory Board
- Maintain database of partners, prospective members, press contacts, and community groups
- Hire and manage all staff, volunteers and interns
- Oversee database management
The successful candidate:
- Has demonstrated leadership abilities
- Has fundraising experience
- Is able to work with and organize individuals with divergent viewpoints
- Can think strategically and work in a collaborative manner with the various EFCO constituencies
- Is highly organized
- Can represent EFCO in the community to increase the organization’s visibility and recognition
- Has a minimum of five years work experience (volunteer management & coordination, grantmaking experience a plus)
- Has excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Has integrity, is intellectually curious, has a sense of humor and is a “people” person, capable of leading, managing and inspiring a diverse group of successful, entrepreneurial individuals
- Has experience working with or on a nonprofit board or entrepreneurial company
- Is resourceful
This is a contract position.
To apply, please send a cover letter*, resume, and three professional references to Tu.T.Phan@gmail.com No phone calls please.
*In your cover letter, please articulate how your experience in the above categories makes you the best candidate for this position. In addition, please highlight how you envision the EFCO model making a positive impact on the entrepreneurial community and beyond.
EFCO is a fund of The Community Foundation http://www.commfound.org
EFCO is an affiliate of Entrepreneurs Foundation Network http://www.efbayarea.org/ef-network